Today in History
Thanks for checking out our historical facts! If you have any suggestions or comments email us!
- In 1054 a supernova occurs. For months it is seen in the day. Its remnants form the Crab Nebula.
- In 1776 the US Declaration of Independence is adopted by the Second Continental Congress.
- In 1803 the Louisiana Purchase is announced to the American people.
- In 1811 Venezuela declares independence from Spain.
- In 1937 Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
- In 1954 Elvis Presley records his first single, "That's All Right," in Memphis, Tennessee.
- In 1785 the dollar is unanimously chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
- In 1919 the dirigible R34 lands, completing the first crossing of the Atlantic Ocean by an airship.
- In 1933 the first MLB All-Star Game is played. The American League beat the National League 4–2.
- In 1898 US President McKinley signs the Newlands Resolution annexing Hawaii as a territory.
- In 1928 sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company.
- In 1985 Boris Becker becomes the youngest player ever to win Wimbledon at age 17.
- In 1889 the first issue of The Wall Street Journal is published.
- In 1948 the United States Air Force accepts its first female recruits.
- In 2011 Space Shuttle Atlantis is launched in the final mission of the U.S. Space Shuttle program.
- In 1877 the inaugural Wimbledon Championships begins.
- In 1922 Johnny Weissmuller swims 100m freestyle in 58.6 seconds breaking the 'minute barrier'.
- In 1981 Donkey Kong, a video game created by Nintendo, is released.
- In 1821 the United States takes possession of its newly bought territory of Florida from Spain.
- In 1890 Wyoming is admitted as the 44th U.S. state.
- In 1913 Death Valley, California, hits 134 °F, the highest temperature recorded in the US.
- In 1735 calculations suggest that Pluto moved inside Neptune's orbit for the last time before 1979.
- In 1895 brothers Auguste and Louis Lumière demonstrate movie film technology to scientists.
- In 1914 Babe Ruth makes his debut in Major League Baseball.
Unless otherwise stated, all facts are sourced from wikipedia.org
and are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike