Today in History
Thanks for checking out our historical facts! If you have any suggestions or comments email us!
- In 1884 George Eastman receives a U.S. Government patent on his new paper-strip photographic film.
- In 1888 Louis Le Prince films the first motion picture: Roundhay Garden Scene.
- In 1912 Theodore Roosevelt, is shot and mildly wounded, but he still carries out his public speech.
- In 1582 the Gregorian calendar starts. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Oct 4 follows by Oct 15.
- In 1878 the Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- In 1951 the first episode of I Love Lucy, an American television sitcom, airs on CBS.
- In 1384 Jadwiga is crowned King of Poland, although she is a woman.
- In 1846 William Morton 1st demonstrated ether anesthesia at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
- In 1869 Girton College, Cambridge is founded, becoming England's 1st residential college for women.
- In 1860 the first The Open Championship (referred to in North America as the British Open) occurs.
- In 1888 Thomas Edison files a patent for the Optical Phonograph (the first movie).
- In 1965 the 1964–65 World's Fair closes. More than 51 million people had attended the event.
- In 1648 Boston Shoemakers form first American labor organization.
- In 1775 African-American poet Phillis Wheatley is freed from slavery.
- In 1851 Herman Melville's Moby-Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
- In 1386 the Universität Heidelberg held its first lecture, making it the oldest German university.
- In 1789 Chief Justice John Jay is sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the United States.
- In 2003 Mother Teresa is beatified by Pope John Paul II.
- In 1803 the United States Senate ratifies the Louisiana Purchase.
- In 1873 Yale, Princeton, Columbia, and Rutgers draft the first code of American football rules.
- In 1973 the Sydney Opera House opens.
- In 1774 First display of "Liberty" on a flag, raised by colonists in MA in defiance of British rule.
- In 1879 Thomas Edison invents a workable electric light bulb at his laboratory, lasting 13.5 hours.
- In 1945 women are allowed to vote in France for the first time.
Unless otherwise stated, all facts are sourced from wikipedia.org
and are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike