Today in History
Thanks for checking out our historical facts! If you have any suggestions or comments email us!
- In 1775, the Spanish establish the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson in Tucson, Arizona.
- In 1858 Charles Darwin first publishes his theory of evolution through natural selection.
- In 1866 President Andrew Johnson formally declares the American Civil War over.
- In 1770 James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- In 1821 Jarvis Island is discovered by the crew of the ship, Eliza Frances.
- In 1888 the first successful adding machine in the US is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- In 565 Columba reports seeing a monster in Loch Ness, Scotland.
- In 1654 Jacob Barsimson arrives in New Amsterdam. He is the 1st known Jewish immigrant to America.
- In 1848 the United States annexes New Mexico.
- In 1541 French explorer Jacques Cartier lands near Quebec City in his third voyage to Canada.
- In 1784 Western North Carolina declares itself a state; it is not accepted, and lasts 4 years.
- In 1923 Smith and Richter did the 1st mid-air refueling, making a record of 37 hrs flight.
- In 1215 Pope Innocent III declares Magna Carta invalid.
- In 1682 William Penn receives the area of Delaware, and adds it to his colony of Pennsylvania.
- In 1875 Captain Matthew Webb became first person to swim the English Channel.
- In 1825 Uruguay declares its independence from Brazil.
- In 1916 the United States National Park Service is created.
- In 2012 Voyager 1 spacecraft enters interstellar space becoming the first man-made object to do so.
- In 1791 John Fitch is granted a United States patent for the steamboat.
- In 1920 the 19th amendment to U.S. Constitution takes effect, giving women the right to vote.
- In 2011 the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, a new airliner, receives certification from EASA and the FAA.
- In 1859 petroleum is found in Titusville, PA leading to the world's 1st successful oil well.
- In 1896 there is the shortest war in history (09:00 to 09:45), between the U.K. and Zanzibar.
- In 1939 the 1st flight of the turbojet Heinkel He 178, the world's first jet aircraft occurs.
Unless otherwise stated, all facts are sourced from wikipedia.org
and are licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike